Friday, February 13, 2009

The Gift of Education

We all have it. I was travelling by auto to CDC. I saw many private schools on the way. I was just wondering what it takes to get a kid enrolled into a renowned school in Chennai….. Some schools register students belonging to particular community only, while some others insist both parents should hold atleast one UG degree. Sounded strange to me. Inequality begins at school! I said to myself - gone are the days when schools were started to provide first generation education to the needy and to serve the society.
I was also questioning myself what triggered these thoughts at the sight of the schools. (Not that I have a kid and looking for a seat in a school!). Then I understood - an email sent by my friend about a website. The subject read something like this -
“If you are interested in providing the gift of education to a deserving, needy kid, do visit this link - http://www.worldvision.in/?Select_A_Child”
“Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.” ~ Read this one somewhere !

No comments:

Followers